Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Ragamuffin Gospel

About fifteen years ago my eldest daughter starting listening to a band named DC Talk.  I'm not much for Rap music, but one of their albums (Jesus Freak) incorporated elements of Pop and Rock.  The fourth song on the album (What if I Stumble) begins with a spoken prelude by Brennan Manning.

"The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and then walk out the door and deny him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."

Since I had been a fan of the music written by the late Rich Mullins (writer of the song 'Awesome God') since the 1990sI had heard of Brennan Manning, although I had never taken time to read any of his books or listen to any of his talks.  There is a story of Mullins being introduced to Manning's writings by one of his band-mates.  The one book which seemed to draw Mullins in particular was the Ragamuffin Gospel.

I encourage everyone to read this book, slowly and prayerfully.  Take into your hearts a deep understanding of the Gospel of Grace.


3 comments:

  1. I've read about one third of this book and it is awesome! It is very thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you get a few minutes (42 to be exact)go to Youtube at this link
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKSofu9YlyQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember asking for permission to buy my first dc Talk album - Supernatural, because I knew you didn't like rap ;)
    -Ash

    ReplyDelete