Monday, January 2, 2017

Simeon's Song (Luke 2:29-35)

27 And he (Simeon) came in the Spirit into the temple, and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him according to the custom of the Law, 28 he took him up in his arms and blessed God and said,

Luke 2:27-28 (ESV) 
Rembrandt - Simeon


Lord,
now you may dismiss your servant,
my life can end in peace,
for with my aging eyes
I have seen the child who is
our salvation
and I cradle Him gently
in my arms.

This child Lord,
is Your gift to the world,
a light of brilliance
shining forth to reveal
Your way to the gentiles
and bring glory to Your people
and I cradle Him gently
in my arms.

Behold,
many will reject this child
and their sword
will pierce through your soul,
this will be their sin.
He will be a sign from God,
despised and spoken against,
but to others He will be
their deepest joy. 



copyright 1992 - Donald P James Jr