The House at Bethany

I wrote this poem a long time ago and included it in the collection 'Pictures of the Messiah'.
When I wrote this I was thinking about Jesus' visit to Bethany (Luke 10:38-42)
and the idea of true hospitality.

Georg Friedrich Stettner († 1639)


You can rest here.
After days in which your journey
has been fulfilled with dust, rain and cold.
Peaceful among the fragrances
of this kitchen.
 
Speak to me.
Teach me my friend.
I’ll not petition you in any way.
I’ll try my best to put aside my weakness
and become a soft pillow for your head,
which is so used to resting on stone.
 
I’ll come in from the yard
when my work is complete.
Embrace you as my brother.
I’ll speak to you of my joys.
The ordinary moments of life
repeating themselves daily
and filling me with such peace.
 
Be with my family
as if they were your own.
Share in their laughter.
Quench your thirst with cool drink
and ease your hunger
on freshly baked breads.
 
I know you have much more work to do.
You have cities to convert,
homeless to shelter, sick to heal.
But for now,
and whenever you need to,
you can rest here,
Lord.



copyright 2016 - Donald P James Jr

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Donald-P.-James-Jr./author 


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus in the Snow

Matthew 19

Have You Not Listened?