The Uninvited Guest (Luke 7:36-50)

Feast in the House of Simon the Pharisee by Rubens, c. 1618


Why am I asked the question.  A parable about debts.  Certainly, the man who owes a greater amount will be all that much more grateful to have a loan forgiven.  But the spectacle at the table, kneeling on the floor, crying, how does this relate to transactions of coin?

You have judged correctly.

Was this a test of some sort.  Do I need to be tested.  The woman, God knows what she is.  Is that the debt he refers to.  He is a prophet.  Does he not know that this is a woman who sells her flesh.  She defiles the temple of her body.  Yet he looks at her with deep compassion and looks at me like I am a student who requires to be taught a simple lesson.

Simon,
do you see this woman? 
You have judged her to be unclean.
You have walked on a separate side of the street,
so that you would not pass her
and fall unto the same judgement.

Simon,
when I came to your house
my feet were dusty from my journey.
You offered me no water to wash.
Yet, she cries her tears of repentance.
She has washed my feet with the deepest emotions
and dried them with her hair.

Simon,
you offered me no kiss of greeting.
I am but a stranger to you
and I was treated as such.
But she has knelt on the floor
and kissed my feet.
She has welcomed me
when you did not.

Then he forgave her sins.  Speaking words of blasphemy before all those in my house.  I should be outraged, but I am stunned.  He says her faith has brought forgiveness.  She rises, wipes her eyes and leaves, perhaps to sin again.

Simon,
she owed a great debt,
one she never believed she could pay.
Now, she owes nothing.
How great is the debt you owe?
Are you willing to kneel before God
and believe
that you too can be forgiven.




copyright 2024 - Donald P James Jr



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus in the Snow

Matthew 19

Have You Not Listened?