Repentance

“Did you see that dude down the street, shouting about the end?”

It was a question asked by one of my classmates as we met in front of the movie theater.  I had come from a different direction, so I hadn’t seen or heard.

“Must think he’s a prophet or somethin’,” another in our group added.

“Did you see him, Jacob?” A third in our group asked me directly.

“I didn’t come from Main,” I answered.

“Oh, then you missed it.  The guy’s a real loon.  He’s got a long beard and unruly hair,” the first speaker said.  His name was Nathan.  Much in life was a joke to Him.

“And his clothing is like some sort of burlap sack,” one of the others said.

Nathan would speak, and the others would chime in.  I usually remained silent, which wasn’t much of a virtue on my part.  Normally, I find, silence translates to agreement.

“You think at least he’d be askin’ for money,” Nathan continued. “Makes the whole effort of standin’ out there in the sun, lookin’ like some rejected hippy, have some value.”

“What’s he sayin’?” I asked, surprised I’d even spoke.

“Repent,” that’s all he keeps yelling,” Nathan answered.

“Dude must think he’s John the Baptist,” one of the others offered.

“Well he’s dressed the part,” Nathan said. “Wonder if he’s eaten’ any wild locust… or maybe a grasshopper or two.”

“It’s what John said… ya know… from the river… repent.” I didn’t believe I’d spoken again.  My friends must have considered me as loopy as the man down the street.

“Let’s just forget it and go catch the movie,” Nathan said, trying to direct the charge as always.

He went to the counter to purchase his ticket.  Glenn, one of the others in our group followed him.  Stephen lagged.

“Why do you think someone would do that?” He asked me.

“I don’t know,” I responded, “the world is kind of a mess.  Think about it, we need repentance.  We are about to walk into a movie theater that sells lust.  Next building down is a clinic where babies are aborted every day.  My parents haven’t been to church since I was in the third grade.  There are wars being fought in every corner of the globe.  People dying of starvation while others horde their wealth.”

“You sound like my minister.

“I wish.”

“What do you mean?” Stephen asked.

“Repent, when was the last time you even heard that word from the pulpit… with any sense of urgency.  It seems to me that most churches are more concerned with the quantity of members and the amount of money those members are willing to put on the collection plate.  Quality, the Word of God… that should be important.  We shouldn’t dilute God’s word so more people join our church or put greater sums in the offertory.”

“Didn’t know you had that in you,” Stephen said as he reached into his wallet for a ten dollar bill.

‘Neither did I,’ I thought to myself as I slipped my own billfold back into my pocket without removing any cash.

“Aren’t you going into the movie?”

I looked up at the colorful billboard depicting an actress considered beautiful by most.  As I stared at her image, her overly exposed curves, her flirtatious smile, I no longer saw beauty, but I became more and more aware of our world’s need for repentance.




© 2020 - Donald P James Jr
From the Collection; House of Pharisees and Other Conflicts of Faith




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus in the Snow

Matthew 19

Have You Not Listened?