I Will Bring You Back (Jeremiah 29:14)


The Flight of the Prisoners (1896) by James Tissot


I will bring you back.

Words
I hear in the night,
when darkness is all I have,
when I have closed my heart
in defeat
and wish for a better day.

I will bring you back.

I have not
been torn from my home,
as those who heard those words
for the first time.
It is not flesh,
but the soul that longs.

I will bring you back.

A prophet
who promises renewal
to a world stained by hate.
A speaker
who knows of armies
that plunder and destroy,
pillage and rape,
he speaks from his age
to ours.

I will bring you back.

Words
that overlay our sonnets.
Words that say,
I love you more than you can know.
Words
that shine a glimmer of light
where for now,
there is only darkness.


copyright 2023 - Donald P James Jr

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus in the Snow

Matthew 19

Have You Not Listened?