If the Stone Is Willing



"What do I have to be thankful for?"

The fourth week of November was creeping up.  On the coming Thursday, families would be gathering around dining room tables.  Some would have a turkey, some a ham.  Some might state what they are thankful for verbally.  Others would be thankful in private.  Some will pray.  Some will think only of eating and watching a football game, or two.

So, two men sit in a diner.  Both are in their thirties.  They sip coffee and dip their toast in the yoke of their fried eggs.

One repeats himself, "What do I have to be thankful for?  My wife left me.  I haven't seen my two year old son in over a month.  I'm concerned about losing the house... and my job.  My blood pressure is soaring."

The other nods his head, and listens.

"I know, I know, I should be thankful I'm alive.  I should be thankful I can put food on the table.  I should be thankful for my health... well except for my blood pressure."

"You should calm down a bit," the other said. "Sometimes we worry about things we can't control."

"Like Janet leaving and taking Timmy with her?"

"Why'd she leave.  Have you talked to her?"

"Barely.  All we do is argue.  She says I was difficult to live with.  I don't drink or do drugs.  I work hard to put a roof over our heads.  She got laid off from her job during her pregnancy.  That was so wrong of her company.  No doubt they put her on the list because she was going to have a baby."

"It's possible," the other said.  He finished the last of his eggs and beckoned the waitress for a fresh cup of coffee.

"So, we're supposed to be thankful, right?"

"Yes."

"It's easy for you.  You're a minister.  You're a single man.  Your parents are still alive."

"And I am thankful for all of that.  I'm thankful every day."

"For the life your Lord has set out before you.  That's what you're thankful for.  Look what He's given me.  A wife and a child that don't want anything to do with me.  A job I hate.  A house that's costing me an arm and a leg."

"Did you ever think you might have squandered your gifts?"

"What?" He was put back a little by his friend's question.

"You know, wasted."

"I was good to Janet.  I love my son."

"I'm not saying you don't.  But you were always so worried about the job, the house and I'm sure the money in the bank, you lost sight of everything..."

"Is this going to turn into a conversation about church?"

"Doesn't have to... if you see church as only a building.  But you believe in God.  You're not an atheist." His friend nodded. "Sometimes we are so focused on what the world points out as big things, we lose focus on the little things, which are the most important things.  You love your family, and you show it my working every bit of overtime you can.  You forgo family time to work.  I know Janet, she's a good person.  How many times has she asked you to join them at church and you use work as an excuse.  How many weekends have you spent at home with her... and Timmy.  Just being with them, nothing more."

"You're making it sound like I'm the one in the wrong."

"Only you can answer that," the minister replied. "Only you can call Janet and ask for forgiveness.  Only you can decide that love is more than a paycheck.  Do these things and you'll have much to be thankful for."

"Even if she hangs up on me?"

"That is for the two of you to decide.  God can turn stone into flesh, but only if the stone is willing to something different.  In the end, you should be thankful for the opportunity to make the attempt to change. 



copyright 2023 - Donald P James Jr

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus in the Snow

Matthew 19

Have You Not Listened?