Denial and Betrayal


Lord,
I have tried not to deny You,
but how often
have I failed?
Little tastes of sweetness
which turn sour in my mouth.
I hold the devils fruit
in my hands
and it burns my flesh.

Have I taken You
to places
where Your love
should never wander?
Have I sent You off
to tomorrow
hoping to meet You there,
because I was busy today.

Have I chosen sins
to ignore
and scars
to justify?
Have I found passages
of Your word to twist to my own?
The wounds I suffer
are not of Your infliction,
they are of my own.

Lord,
denial is so close
to being betrayal,
brothers of a similar cause,
but Peter offered repentance
and Judas
hung from a tree
in Akeldama.

Give me the humility
of Your rock.
Build upon me
a foundation of faith,
lest I become
proud of my darkness
like the one who was lost.



copyright 2017 - Donald P James Jr

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus in the Snow

Matthew 19

Have You Not Listened?