Like a Deer Longs for a Stream (Psalm 42)

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and behold the face of God?
My tears have been my food day and night, while people say to me continually, 
"Where is your God?" 
Psalm 42:1-3 (NRS) 

   
I need You
like the deer longs for a stream.
I thirst for you,
every day
and every night.
When will my sight
be filled with Your face?

My tears nourish me,
in my despair.
Bread and water are but dust.
Where is your God
the unbelievers recite?
They accuse You
of failing to embrace Your child.

Unquenchable torrents
flood over me.
The abyss pulls me deeper
as I cry out
and those with doubt ask,
where is your God?

Send Your kindness upon my brow,
acknowledge my song of praise.
Yet my soul still groans
in its struggle to hope.

I need You
like a deer longs for a stream,
desperate to feel Your touch
when the world
binds me down
in its transgressions.



copyright 2017 - Donald P James Jr

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus in the Snow

Matthew 19

Have You Not Listened?